Michigan Center for Materials Characterization (MC)2
Users are individuals who are trained by Center Staff to use the Center and whose use of the Center is charged on a valid shortcode or account approved by the User Supervisor. ONLY INDIVIDUALS who meet these criteria are allowed to use instruments in the Center; non-users may observe but are not allowed to touch or interact with the instruments at any time.
The User acknowledges that he/she has
- Completed basic laboratory safety training before using any instruments in the laboratory. Safety training is the User’s responsibility (see http://www.oseh.umich.edu or your University’s equivalent for basic laboratory safety training).
- Understand the safety requirements as stated by the University of Michigan and the Center.
- Read and understood the User Handbook(s) for the instruments they use in (MC)2.
Rules of conduct
The User agrees:
- To follow the facility’s Standard Operating Procedures (including wear of PPE).
- To follow the instructions of the Center staff and Center Manager.
- To the presence of the cameras before they are allowed access to the facility. Webcams are used to share the instrumentation with remote users and also for teaching and outreach activities. The images from the cameras are also recorded for security purposes. So, please remember that you may be visible to whoever connects to these cameras and on all of our security footage (which is typically kept for about 1 month).
- To report any violations of the rules, guidelines, or verbal instructions
- To abide by any measures to assure that the facility remains secure. This includes reporting suspicious activity, not letting in un-authorized users in the Center, leaving doors open or unlocked, and not going into areas that are not intended for users.
- To not bring food or drinks in the Main Center area or in any instrument or sample preparation room.
- To carry out all communication and training sessions within the Center in English to ensure the safety of all users and instruments.
In addition, the User also agrees to follow all rules of operation and termination set by the Center.
- Rates are posted on the Center website (mc2.engin.umich.edu/lab-use/rates/). These rates are subject to change annually.
- The time and materials consumed in using instruments will be charged to User.
- Usage may be considered either the difference between log in and log out times, or the length of scheduled reservation. Please contact staff before use to find which case applies.
- Faculty working on projects for commercial (for profit) entities, either in collaboration or as consultants, are required to pay the commercial rate for instrument time for all hours of use, unless the funds supporting this work (including salaries) are awarded to UM through the Sponsored Programs Office at full indirect cost rates. If this work is carried out by Center Staff, published assistance and service rates will also apply.
- An additional 2.7% fee applies for payments by credit cards.
Publications and acknowledgements
- All publications resulting from work at (MC)2or including results obtained at (MC)2 should acknowledge “the University of Michigan College of Engineering for financial support and the Michigan Center for Materials Characterization for use of the instruments and staff assistance.”
- Authorship or acknowledgements of specific (MC)2staff member(s) should also be considered and discussed with the appropriate staff member.
- Reprint of all publications resulting from the use of (MC)2 facilities shall be provided to (MC)2 staff for collection into a yearly volume.
- Follow all training, safety, and booking policies.
- The User is allowed to use an instrument only after proper training and approval by Center Staff.
- The User is not to change the alignment of any of the (MC)2instruments beyond that shown during training.
- After any session on any instrument, log off and follow all required steps as shown during training.
- After a session the instruments are to be reset back to the default settings after any session as shown during training.
- The User is to clean up after him/herself, both in the specimen preparation rooms and in the microscope rooms. Razor blades, kimwipes, rubber gloves, carbon sticky tabs, etc. should be placed in the recycling or trash receptacles provided.
- Any glassware in the specimen preparation room is to be washed out, dried it, and returned it to the storage cupboard.
- Sample(s) left in any room maybe discarded by Center Staff.
- (MC)2does not permit the presence, use or storage of hydrofluoric acid in any (MC)2
- DO NOT CHANGE THE PRESSURE SETTINGS ON THE ARGON GAS CYLINDER of the carbon coater or sputter coater. Merely open and close main valve.
- If you use the last of any item or the last but one of any item or it looks like stock of an item is running low, please write it on the white board provided for this use.
- If there is a failure of a piece of equipment, or a piece of equipment responds to use of it in a manner that is not familiar,
- Log off in FOM and email the instrument manager (in FOM) with a description of the exact nature of the problem.
- contact a Staff member for help immediately.
- When something goes wrong with one of the instruments,
- User is to log off and email the instrument manager (in FOM) with a description of the exact nature of the problem.
- User should seek help of a center Staff.
- Failure to follow these procedures may lead to revocation of Center access.
- If the User believes that an instrument has a failed component, or has failed internally,
- User is to log off and email the instrument manager (in FOM) with a description of the exact nature of the problem
- User should seek help of a center Staff.
- User is NOT to attempt to dismantle and repair the instrument yourself. Dismantling any of the instruments in (MC)2could lead to a life threatening situation. (MC)2 equipment frequently has high voltages inside and X-ray shielding that if removed may expose users to X-rays.
- Failure to follow procedures may lead to revocation of Center access.
- Research supervisors are responsible for 50% of the cost of any instrumentation repair required due to User negligence.
- Users are required to use any booked time. Failure to show up for booked time without a reasonable excuse will result in the User account being charged for that time.
- If User fails to turn up for booked time then any other qualified User may claim it. There is a ten minute grace period. After that any qualified user may take the remaining time slot.
- Do not book more than one four-hour daytime slot (9:00am – 5:00pm) in any given week unless that week has begun. If long time slots are needed, it is preferable to book an afternoon and then run into the evening or come in very early and run into the morning. For exceptions, contact the Center Manager.
- At the end of a session, User are required to close all images, patterns, and other files and clean the computer desktop.
- Users are not allowed to use USB drives on any (MC)2.
- Data can be saved to the data server emalserver and retrieved via sftp from your laboratory, office, or home computer. The username for this connection is emalftp. The password is the one that you have been told to use for (MC)2 Users can also use the (MC)2Macs for backing up your data since they all can connect to emalserver2. They also have CD and DVD burners. In particular, the eMacs have DVD burners on them.
- Users should not attempt to use ANY of the (MC)2data acquisition computers for web browsing or e-mail User personal computer for this purpose.
- Users should not attempt to install ANY software on ANY (MC)2 computers. (MC)2 computers have software installed to help with data acquisition and analysis, they are not to be used for games, movies, mp3s or other non standard software.
Remedial response, Revocation and Termination
- Negligence and/or violation of any the above rules will lead to the immediate temporary or permanent revocation of User privileges and access to the Center.
- Instrumentation damage due to User negligence will be billed up to 25% of the repair cost to the User account.