Materials Science, Biological Sciences, Geological Sciences, Defect & Failure Analysis
- Surface and cross section imaging (topology, chemistry, phase contrast)
- Environmental imaging (gas control and water vapor)
- TEM and APT specimen preparation
Room 1020 (upstairs)
Publications, presentations, and posters resulting from work on this instrument should state: “The authors acknowledge the financial support of the University of Michigan College of Engineering and NSF grant #DMR-0320740, and technical support from the Michigan Center for Materials Characterization.“
- Accelerating Voltage
- Electrons: 0.2 to 30 kV
- Ions: Up to 30 kV
- Electron Filament: Tungsten Hairpin
- Vacuum: Specimen Chamber: 1-20 torr
- Imaging – Gaseous Environmental Secondary Detector (GSED)
- Imaging – Everhart-Thornley Detector (SED)
- Imaging – Environmental BackScatter Detector
- EDAX 30 mm2 SDD detector, capable of detecting elements with Z >5.
- XEDS system: EDAX Genesis System with Spectral, Image and Spectrum image acquisition.
- SEM Resolution
- 3.5 nm @ 30 kV at high vacuum
- 3.5 nm @30 kV in ESEM mode
- 15 nm @ 3 kV in low vacuum mode
- Ion Resolution :10 nm @ 30 kV @ 1 pA
- Hot Stage, capable of operating from room temperature to 1000 oC.
- Peltier Cooling Stage, operates from room temperature to ~-50 oC.
- Micromanipulator: Omniprobe 100.5
- Included Software
- AutoFIB, AutoTEM, Slice and View and XtDocu,
- Off line Software: EDAX and NIST DTSA-II.
References and Publications
- Capillary-Driven Binding of Thin Triangular Prisms at Fluid Interfaces, J.A. Ferrar, D.S. Bedi, S. Zhou, P. Zhu, X. Mao, M.J. Solomon, Soft Matter, 14(19), 3902-3918, 2018
- On α′ Precipitate Composition in Thermally Annealed and Neutron-Irradiated Fe- 9-18Cr alloys, E.R. Reese, M. Bachhav, P. Wells, T. Yamamoto, G.R. Odette, E.A. Marquis, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 500, 192-198, 2018
- Permanent CO2 Trapping through Localized and Chemical Gradient-Driven Basalt Carbonation, A.H. Menefee, D.E. Giammar, B.R. Ellis, Environmental Science and Technology, 52(15), 8954-8964, 2018
- Contributions of Transported Prudhoe Bay Oil Field Emissions to the Aerosol Population in Utqiaġvik, Alaska, M.J. Gunsch, R.M. Kirpes, K.R. Kolesar, T.E. Barrett, S. China, R.J. Sheesley, A. Laskin, A. Wiedensohler, T. Tuch, K.A. Pratt, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 17, 10879-10892, 2017
- Changes in Precipitating Snow Chemistry with Location and Elevation in the California Sierra Nevada, J.M. Creamean, J.L. Axson, A.L. Bondy, R.L. Craig, N.W. May, H. Shen, M.H. Weber, K.A. Pratt, A.P. Ault, Journal of Geophysical Research, 121, 7296-7309, 2016
- Investigating Environmental Effects on Small Fatigue Crack Growth in Ti–6242S using Combined Ultrasonic Fatigue and Scanning Electron Microscopy, J. Geathers, C.J. Torbet, J.W. Jones, S. Daly, International Journal of Fatigue, 70, 154–162, 2015